Here are steps we're taking at our stores to implement curbside dropoff and pickup. We'd love to hear other ideas or options you've rolled out!
We will update this article soon with templates and other information.
- Decide whether curbside buying will be an option for customers or a requirement for all buys
- Place cones or signage to block off one or two parking spaces - Some options are sturdy outdoor parking signs here and here, or cheaper sandwich signs here
- Print large signs to put on the door (order and pick up from Staples/Fedex)
- Signage will say: Call or text 123-456-7890 for curbside service
- If using ResaleAI, you can find your texting number within settings. Look on the "Store settings" tab under "Call and Text number" (if someone calls this number, it will route to your regular store phone)
- Update the website - Add banner at the top linking to your Event page with an update on new processes in-store
- Post on Instagram and Facebook to let customers know
- Share on Instagram stories and consider saving as a highlight
- Consider emailing customers and/or sending a Fivestars text to notify them of the change
- Coach your team on the process and verbiage if you are choosing to do store-credit only (more here)
- If you are switching to store-credit only, you can adjust the buy policy that customers sign on their phone for Sign to Sell. See more here
NOTE - We are using ResaleAI Flex devices to check-in the buys outside, away from the POS computer (more info here. ) But also mention several other process flows.
- Customer calls the store to let the team know they’ve arrived
- Employee goes to their car and receives their items (see details below, depending on your check-in method).
- Place their items on the rolling cart. Recommend bringing a few bins with you on the cart in case their items are not securely bundled, so you can place their items in the bins
- Let the customer know upfront, if any of these apply for your store:
- For the time being, all buys are processed to store credit that doesn’t expire
- We’ll text you a quote later with the offer amount
- You can donate any items we can’t purchase, in case you don't wish to return for them
- If drop-off gets busy, ask the customer for a description of their car
- For safety reasons, you may have employees go out in teams of two
Wipe down the cart used for transport regularly
- Another option: Quarantine all buys for 3 hours to reduce transfer of germs. Let customers know about the delay upfront, and use the Buy page in ResaleAI to track
With a Flex device:
- Employees go outside with a Flex to process buy at their car
- Scan their ID, input bag details, and submit
- Bring the items inside, collect the bag labels at the receipt printer, and label the bags
- If drop-off gets busy, you could quickly add a sticky note with the buy number until items are fully labeled inside
- Ideally the Flex should be able to stay on the WiFi network if customers can park near the front door of the store. Reach out to us for suggestions if you are looking into a SIM card for the Flex. If employees have unlimited data, you can also create a mobile hotspot and pair the Flex to that
Using POS Scanner for licenses
One option (returning sellers)
- Carry the wireless scanner with you to the parking lot and scan their ID
- Have one employee carry the bags inside and click "Next" on the scanned ID
- Have the other employee remain for a moment to make sure the customer signs on their phone, as the inside employee completes check-in
Another option (new sellers)
- Ask to see their ID and collect their phone number (possibly write on a sticky note)
- Let them know you will complete check-in inside, that they will get a text to sign on their phone, and you will return their ID in a moment
- Load the bags and bring inside
- Scan the ID, and input their phone number
- Add the bag description and complete check-in. Do a paper signature if needed
- Return the ID to the customer
Other Sign to Sell (no scanner)
- Ask the customer to visit Signtosell.com and fill out their information there. Fully explain the buy policy and the buying process as they complete and sign
- Take the bags into the store
- Find the Pending buy, input the bag details, and submit
- Bring a form to the customer and ask them to fill out all information. Fully explain the buy policy and buying process
- Bring the form inside and complete buy check-in at the POS computer. Label all bags.
Presenting the offer
- When the buy is complete, send the normal “Buy complete” message in ResaleAI, then manually text the quote amount.
- The goal is to reduce the need for the customer to come back in-store. If they accept via text, you can process the buy via store credit, and donate passes if desired.
- If you don't use ResaleAI, you may want to call customers to give them their offer over the phone
- Decide how to handle customer questions about what we are buying - Is it okay for the employee to text a picture of items we are wanting to take? Is it okay to give out itemized details?
- When the customer replies that they accept the offer, the store credit is processed. Send a confirmation text message with the details of their store credit.
- Ask customer if they would like to return for their other items or donate them. If they return, they will call the store and an employee will run their passes to them in their car.
- If they do not accept the offer, they can return within 24 hours to pick up all items
- Some may adjust the time frame to allow 48 hours, or limit buys to 1-2 containers
- Option: Offer a discount on their purchase if they shop in-store the same day and trade
Please sign in to leave a comment.